Top Tips for your Houston Senior Photo Session
High school senior portraits are such a great way to commemorate the milestone of graduation, giving you a chance to look back and reflect with pride. So, you’ll want those photos to be professional and memorable, no doubt. Plus, who doesn’t love playing ‘model’ for a day? We’ve complied some tips on how to make your Houston Senior Photo Session a great one for your high school senior!
Allison Wilkins at Evin Thayer Studios makes the whole experience easier than ever by helping you choose looks and locations, and can even arrange to have a makeup artist work with you on the day of your shoot. Pretty cool, right?
Here are some things to help you get started as you plan your senior portrait session.
What To Wear
We want your personality and style to SHINE for your session! Most of our seniors bring 3-5 outfit changes for a variety of looks. This usually includes a combination of formal to casual. Are you a member of a sports team or dance team? We love when our seniors bring in their uniforms to showcase their talents!
Here is an example of a typical senior wardrobe selection:
- Cap and Gown
- Letter Jacket with top and jeans or skirt
- Formal (tux or gown)
- Fun/Dressy (slacks or casual dress)
- Fun/Casual (jeans and top)
After we have our locations locked down, think about outfits that would go well with the surrounding setting. Then just choose clothing styles that you feel confident and comfortable in!
On camera makeup is much different than everyday makeup. It often requires different types of contouring, layers, highlights, and even certain makeup brands that hold up better in front of lights or with natural outdoor light. If you’re not used to doing makeup yourself we’re happy to connect you with some local makeup artists to ensure your makeup is spot on. If you decide to do it yourself, we suggest:
- Going for a timeless look instead of trends, to prevent the photos from looking dated in years to come.
- Choosing a feature you want to highlight. If it’s the lips, then adding a bright shade of lipstick will look flattering, or if you want to make your eyes the focal point, choose mascara and eyeshadow that pops.
- Using a setting spray to help your makeup stay in place for the duration of the shoot.
- Using a translucent face powder for a more balanced complexion.
Houston-Area Location Ideas
Many of our seniors choose combo sessions meaning we will start in the studio with a few looks and then head outdoors!
If you’re interested in location-specific photos we suggest choosing spots that best represent your personality, favorite locations, and/or suit the type of vibe you’re going for. Some spots we love around Houston include:
- Houston Arboretum
- Houston Botanic Garden
- 19th Street Shopping District
- Downtown Houston
- Graffiti Park
- Washington Street Corridor
- The Silos/Winter Street Studios
No matter your style, look, or vibe we can absolutely help you capture memorable senior portraits to last a lifetime. Click here to learn more. We look forward to working with you!